Anchor Line’s Cameronia was torpedoed 150 miles east of Malta on 15 April 1917 by the German U-boat U-33 while en route from Marseille to Alexandria. She was serving as a troopship at the time, with approximately 2,650 soldiers on board. The ship sank in 40 minutes, with the loss of 210 lives. Cameronia had been requisitioned in January 1917 and converted for use as a troopship, mainly in the Mediterranean, and was based at Marseille.
Cameronia was built by Henderson’s of Glasgow as yard number 472: she was a twin-propeller steamship, 515 feet long, 10,963grt. She was launched on 27th May 1911. Her maiden voyage from Glasgow to New York was on 13th September 1911. In February 1915 Cameronia was transferred to the joint Anchor-Cunard service from Glasgow to Liverpool and New York.