5th January – wartime shipping losses

1917: Allie. Built in 1899 by Harkess, Middlesborough. Owned by Stone & Rolfe, 1,139grt. She was en route from Swansea to Bordeaux with a cargo of copper sulphate, when she was sunk 10 miles NW of Bouée Baleines by German submarine UB-39, Heinrich Küstner. There were no casualties.

1917: Hudworth. Built 1916 by Blyth Shipbuilding. Owned by Trechmann Bros., 3,966grt. En route from Karachi to Hull with a cargo of barley and seed. Sunk by the German submarine U-35, Lothar von Arnauld de la Perière, 94 miles ESE from Malta. There were no casualties.

1918: Knightsgarth. Built 1905 by Raylton Dixon. Owned by R & JH Rea, 2,889grt. En route from Lough Swilly to Barry. Torpedoed off Rathlin  Island by the German submarine U-91, Alfred von Glasenapp, 5 miles WNW from Bull Point, Rathlin Island. 2 persons were lost.

1918: Rio Claro. Built 1904 by Doxfords, Sunderland. Owner Petersen & Co., 3,687grt.  Torpedoed and sunk in the Mediterranean by German submarine U-63, Captain Hartwig, en route from Leghorn to Cartagena. Curiously, the after portion was refloated in March 1919, a new forward end was in built 1920 and the ship was put back in service.

war-baron1918: War Baron. Built 1917 by North West Steel, Portland, Oregon. Operated by The Shipping Controller, 6,240grt. En route from Southampton to Barry in ballast, was sunk by the German submarine U-55, Wilhelm Werner, 8 miles north-east of the Godrevy lighthouse, St Ives. 2 persons were lost.

1918: Rose Marie. Built 1916 by SP Austin, Sunderland. Owner Rodney Shipping, 2,220grt. En route from Scapa Flow to Barry, in ballast. Sunk by U-61, Captain Dieckmann, in St George’s Channel. 1 lost.

1941: Shakespear. Built 1926 by Duncan, Glasgow. Owner Glover Bros, 5,029grt. In convoy from Liverpool to North America. Attacked by Italian submarine off Senegal and returned fire but was sunk. 20 lost.

 

White Star’s Delphic (I) launched 5th January 1897

delphic-1White Star’s Delphic was launched at Harland & Wolff, Belfast on 5th January 1897. She was jointly owned by White Star and Shaw, Savill & Albion for their service to New Zealand. She was a steel-hulled steamer with twin propellers, one funnel and four masts. She was designed to carry refrigerated meat in three forward holds and could also carry 1,000 emigrants. Originally she carried yards on the foremast plus three jibs and a two trysails. Delivered on 15th May 1897, she left on her maiden voyage to New York on 17th June, under Captain Sowden. After a second Atlantic crossing in July, she was placed on the New Zealand service.

The 'Delphic'On 30th September 1897 she left on her maiden voyage for Wellington, arriving on 21st November. After visiting several ports in New Zealand, she was back in London on 27th February 1898. She then settled into a regular service. Delphic also made two trooping runs to South Africa during the Boer War.

The German submarine U60 fired a torpedo at Delphic on 16th February 1917, but it missed. She was taken over in March 1917 under the Liner Requisition Scheme along with White Star’s Athenic, Bovic, Canopic, Cufic and Northland. Sailing from Cardiff to Montevideo with a cargo of coal, on 16th August 1917 Delphic was torpedoed by German submarine UC72; five crew died. The remainder were picked up by an escorting destroyer. Delphic stayed afloat but sank the next day.